1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.
2. If you forget a Southerner's name, refer to him (or her) as "Bubba".
You have a 75% chance of being right.
3. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can. Stay home the two
days of the year it snows.
4. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four
wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to
help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
5. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.
6. Do not buy food at the movie store.
7. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.
8. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All
y'all's" is plural possessive.
9. There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a southern accent, unless it is
a southerner imitating a Boston accent.
10. Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?"
11. People walk slower here.
12. Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you
13. The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary
is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol' truck" or "big ol'
boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern influenced dialect with this
expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.
14. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.
15. Be advised: The "He needed killin'" defense is valid here.
16. If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last shovel of
dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.
17. If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of
his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.
18. Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore those who do. In fact, if
you see a signal blinking on a car with a southern license plate, you may rest assured
that it was on when the car was purchased.
19. Northerners can be identified by the spit on the inside of their car's windshield
that comes from yelling at other drivers.
20. The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.
22. If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the most minuscule
accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not
matter if you need anything from the store, it is just something you're supposed to do.
23. Satellite dishes are very popular in the South. When you purchase one it is to be
positioned directly in front of your trailer. This is logical bearing in mind that the
dish cost considerably more than the trailer and should, therefore, be displayed.
24. Tornadoes and Southerners going through a divorce have a lot in common. In either
case, you know someone is going to lose a trailer.
25. Florida is not considered a southern state. There are far more Yankees than
Southerners living there.
26. In southern churches you will here the hymn, All Glory, Laud and Honor. You
will also here expressions such as, "Laud, have mercy", Good Laud",
and "Laudy, Laudy, Laudy".
27. As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the
middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as
John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.
28. You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions
of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.