101+ WAYS TO BE ANNOYING
As an expert on the art of annoying and irritating others, I have
endeavored to compile a list of methods I have developed, used,or read about, with which
to annoy people. Some are very simple, some take preparation, some are very old, some are
new. At least 1/4 of them are guaranteed to annoy your victim. Have fun!
1. Put your face really close to theirs while they're facing a different
direction, tap them on the shoulder, and watch them jump when they turn to face you.
2. Copy their actions and everything they say.
3. Step on the backs of their heels while they're walking.
4. Yell across a crowded room to them: "Hey, John, the results came back from the
V.D. clinic: we're clean!"
5. In a communal shower or shower house, turn the hot water all the way up and the cold
water all the way down (or vice versa) while they're rinsing the shampoo out of their hair
and can't see anything. Or, when you're finished showering, go outside and turn the main
6. Pretend you don't understand what they're saying, no matter how much they yell and how
slowly they say it.
7. When somebody asks, "Hey, did you get a haircut?" reply, "No, all of
8. When somebody asks, "Do you have the time?" reply, "Yeah."
9. If you have a dot matrix printer, leave the little computer paper tracks on the paper
when turning in a report or essay.
10. Ask an artist, "It's not finished yet, is it?"
11. On a summer day, ask anybody, "Hot enuff for ya?"(NOTE: Proper response to
this question is to hit offender in the face and ask, "Hurt enough for you?")
12. Sign someone up on a junk mail list.
13. Go into a frozen yogurt joint where they have lots of toppings. Order a cup, and say
to the guy, in the most annoying tone imaginable, "Do you have M&M's? Yeah? Good.
How 'bout raisins? Yeah, and sprinkles. Do you have cookie crumbs?" After he has
proceeded to put them on the yogurt, exclaim, "I hate cookie crumbs. They make me
sick. I can't even smell them, that's hoW much I hate them. Aagh, yuck!" Watch the
salesperson fume as he is forced to throw away the entire cup.
14. Walk into a store that has a sign that says, "Have a penny? Give a penny! Need a
penny? Take a penny!" with a HUGE jar of pennies. Take a penny out of the cup, put it
into your jar, and walk out.
15. Pull up alongside somebody while driving on the freeway, and gesture violently,
indicating that they should pull over immediately. When they pull over, just continue
16. Take a pencil, stick a piece of chewed gum onto it, and stick it to the ground. Then
wait for some cheap-o to come along and try to pick it up.
17. Play 'Penis.'
18. While standing next to someone, unobtrusively reach your arm around their back, and
tap them on the opposite shoulder.
19. Tell someone, "Okay, here's what you do: bite down on both your pinky nails
really hard for about thirty seconds, and then when I tell you that time is up, link your
pinkies and pull really hard." If they ask, "Why?" tell them that it feels
really neat. If done correctly, this trick should cause excruciating pain.
20. Engage someone in a conversation, and have a friend sneak up behind them, and get down
on his hands and knees. Then, all of a sudden, violently push the person to whom you are
talking, and laugh with sadistic glee as they tumble backwards over the person kneeling
21. Tell someone, "Man, your hands smell bad!" When they try to smell their
hand, smack it so it hits their face. This one can also be performed with a piece of pie.
When they lean down to smell the pie, grab the back of their head and smoosh it into the
22. After somebody finishes telling a joke, say in a very grave tone, "My brother
(sister/mother/father) died that way."
23. Walk up behind somebody wearing a button down shirt or a short sleeved collar shirt,
insert your finger into the little strip of fabric sewn across the top just below the
collar, yell "FAG TAG!" at the top of your lungs, and rip it off.
24. Give somebody a grundy.
25. Pinch a guy's nipple. You may also pinch a girl's nipple if you please, but this falls
under '101 Ways to Sexually Harass People.'
26. Leave the following message on someone's answering machine: "Sir,
we're not sure if you wanted us to do it, you know, after what happened, so, well, we went
ahead and did it anyway. If you don't like it, we can probably take it out, but we'll have
to charge you extra. Please return this call immediately. Thanks."
27. Tell somebody that's wearing velcro shoes or slip-ons that their shoelaces are untied.
28. Tell lots of puns.
29. Be a Jew for Jesus.
30. Give somebody a Wet Willy.
31. Turn on somebody's radio up all the way and turn their windshield wipers on while the
car is off.
32. Take a stick of gum out of it's paper and foil wrapper, then carefully re-fold the
foil wrapper and stick it back into the paper wrapper. Offer this to someone as a stick of
33. Pay for a tube of toothpaste with a check at the supermarket.
34. On the bus, try to engage somebody in a conversation about genital warts.
35. Delete somebody's AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files.
36. When walking behind someone outside, pull up a long piece of grass, and gently tickle
them behind the ear with it. The first time, they'll try to brush it away. The second time
they'll swat at it, and smack themselves. Generally, the third time they turn around and
look behind themselves.
37. Take a wire, and stick it all the way through a cigar or cigarette. Let the ash get
really long, and pretend you don't notice everybody staring at it, waiting for it to fall.
38. When they're about half way through with it, remove one piece from the box of a jigsaw
puzzle, and throw it away.
39. Hide the remote control.
40. Call a house at random, and ask for Gary. When they tell you that there's no Gary
there, call again a little while later. Do this at intervals about four times. Finally,
when they're fuming and about to scream bloody murder, call a fifth time, and say,
"Hi, this is Gary. Are there any messages for me?"
41. Take a deck of cards, and say, "Okay, I'm gonna do a magic trick." Ask the
person to pick any card, and put it anywhere in the deck. After they have shuffled the
deck thoroughly, take the deck back. Ask, "What was your card?" When they tell
you, say, "Not only has your card magically come to the top of the deck, but it has
also magically turned into..." Pick up the top card, look at it, and name it.
42. When somebody is talking very excitedly at a restaurant, pick up their plate, hand it
to them, and nod gravely. Wait for them to notice and wonder why they are holding their
43. Exclaim in a crowded theater, "No, I won't touch you there for a dollar! No, not
two dollars, either!"
44. Approach somebody quietly from behind, grab them, and scream, "Booga booga!"
or any other such exclamation loudly. This works extremely well on high strung people.
45. Be chronically late. Not really late, but always be about five or seven minutes late.
This really gets anal retentive people. I know.
46. Shave with someone elses razor. For some reason, a lot of people are really touchy
about that. Once again, I know.
47. Once again at a restaurant, one with a candle in the middle of the table, while
someone is up before the food has come, take their plate, hold the bottom rim over the
candle, and rotate it so you get a lot of soot on the bottom of the plate. When they come
back, say, "I'm going to hypnotize you. Pick up your plate in your left hand, and
with your right hand, copy all my actions." Proceed to rub your index finger around
the bottom rim of your plate, and in a circle on your forehead. Then around the rim, and
each of your eyes. Keep going, with different parts of the face, until they notice.
48. Cut out an article or section of the newspaper before someone else has had a chance to
49. Send a letter with twenty-nine one cent stamps.
50. Go into a locker room with a pocket knife, and cut off all the shoelaces that are
hanging out of the lockers.
51. When someone asks, "Are there any questions?" ask, "Where do babies
come from?" This is one of my favorites.
52. Step on someone's feet, and push them backwards.
53. Take their hat.
54. Grab a book that someone is reading, open it to the last page, and read this out loud.
55. When riding shotgun in a convertible, surreptitiously reach over and put up just the
rear windows. In a convertible, this looks REALLY stupid.
56. Take an envelope, fill it with baking powder or flour,and send it to somebody.
57. At a fast food restaurant, push down the bubbles on the drink tops of everybody's
58. Crack all your knuckles. A lot of people can't stand fingers, and I know some people
who have almost fainted upon the cracking of the neck.
59. Sing, "I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves, I know a song that gets on
everybody's nerves..." over and over again to the tune of the first two lines of The
Battle Hymn of the Republic.
60. Pay for an item at a store with all pennies.
61. When you're out of the house all night for a weekend, leave your clock-radio on for
it's normal wake-up time of about 6:30 or 7:30, and turn the volume up.
62. At a red light, put your car in gear and creep slowly forward, while gesturing to the
person in the car next to you that they must be rolling backwards.
63. Drive with your brights on just to see how many people flash their lights at you.
64. Tailgating can be one of the most effective forms of annoyance know to man.
65. Walk up to someone you know, and say something to the effect of, "Hey, did you
hear what happened to Jim? Well he was with...oh, man, I really shouldn't tell you this.
No, I promised I wouldn't tell. No, I can't tell you, sorry."
66. When they are out of their room, move everything they own to a different location.
67. Change all the preset stations on their car radio tuner to classical and
68. Slurp your soup or your breakfast cereal.
69. Tap the person on the shoulder continuously, and when you have their attention, just
continue tapping them on the shoulder.
70. At a movie theater, unwrap a candy bar as loudly as is humanly possible, preferably
71. At a public library, get a book which hasn't been checked out yet, and slip it into
somebody's book bag when they're not looking.
72. Take off the letters one of those sign boards that have the removable letters. Spell
rude things with them.
73. Answer the phone "Domino's Pizza, how can I help you?" at someone else's
house. Or at your own house, if you really want.
74. At night, rearrange somebody's furniture. At the very least, they'll be surprised when
they get up in the morning. But, better yet, call them in the middle of the night, so they
have to get up, and stumble over a chair that wasn't there before.
75. Many telephone answering machines have two digit passwords for retrieving messages and
that kind of thing, and often times, the default on many models is 25, which people don't
bother to change. This is an excellent way to hack answering machines, or, if this doesn't
work, it's not that hard to try all 100 combinations. Regardless, once you've hacked the
machine, a fun thing to do is to change the message. This is supremely annoying.
76. Call a credit card company and report somebody's card as missing. Next time they
try to use it, they'll have it confiscated and cut into little bitty pieces.
77. Take all the labels off of their video tapes.
78. There are a myriad of non-harmful but incredibly annoying computer viruses, such as
Red-X, Cascade, Heeva Havah, Whale, and more. Their effects vary, and they can be a pain
in the butt to remove from one's hard drive.
79. An old but still great and incredibly useful annoyance technique is the age old, tried
and true 'Kick Me' sign on the back. A classic.
80. Write taunting messages at random places in an assignment notebook or executive
81. Another classic is to get about three other people in on a joke that has no meaning at
all, and tell it with those three people and the victim in the room. All the people 'in'
on the joke laugh, and the victim doesn't get it. When he asks, say, "Oh, never mind.
If you don't get it, it's not worth explaining. My favorite is, "A hippo and a
penguin are taking a bath together. The hippo says, 'Pass the soap,' and the penguin says,
'No soap. Radio!'"
82. Yet another age old family of annoying jokes are as follows: "Would you happen to
have a henway on you?" "A henway? What's a henway?" "About three
83. Talk to the characters in a television show, like yelling out loud, "Don't go in
there! The bad guys are in there!"
84. When you take a shower, leave the shower/bath valve on shower.
85. Women hate it when men leave the toilet seat up.
86. During an exam, tap your foot on the floor continuously. This works very well on
linoleum, especially if you can find a part of the floor where the linoleum is coming
loose, and it makes a very loud sound.
87. Be a street mime.
88. Remove the doorstop from hallway doors. Or better yet, if you have the time and the
motivation, take out the screw that holds the two 'arms' of the spring closer together.
89. Write poetry for a school newspaper or publication.
90. For women: ask your friends, "Do I look fat to you?"
91. Put a lubricated condom on somebody's door knob.
92. Go out behind somebody's house at night, and find the box marked "Illinois Bell
Customer Service," or whatever state you live in. Open this up using a flat head
screwdriver, and attach a wire across the green and red wires. This will leave the phone
off hook, and once the too-long-off-hook signal starts going, the person will be forced to
go to another's house to use the phone to call Ma Bell so they can figure out is going on.
93. Put a dead fish in somebody's trunk. Works best during the summer.
94. Take a chalkboard eraser and insert a piece of chalk into, so that when somebody goes
to erase the board, they leave a chalk mark.
95. At a restaurant, have the victim place both his hands on the table palms down. Balance
a glass of water on the back of each hand. The person is now trapped, unable to remove
either glass without help. (Actually, there is a solution: place your chin against one
glass, and using that to hold it steady, remove the other glass.)
96. A similar 'trap' is to have a person stick their forefinger and thumb through the
space on the hinged side of an open door, just above the top hinge. Put an egg between
their fingers and ask them to hold it. Then, take their hat and put it on the floor
underneath the egg.
97. Take a paper or styrofoam cup, and punch a small hole in it near the base. Grasp the
cup, with your thumb over the hole, and fill it with water. Now, casually walk up to
someone, and ask them to hold the cup.
98. Take a bungee cord like the kind used to tie a car hood down, and while someone is
sitting in a chair in front of you, carefully and quietly hook one end to their belt loop,
and the other to the chair leg or underside. If they are sitting on a plastic chair, the
chair will spring up when they stand up, and fall over, making a loud clatter. Better yet,
though, if they're sitting near a wall fixture, just attach them to that.
99. Shake up somebody's can of soda before they drink it.
100. Loosen the tops on the salt and pepper shakers at a restaurant.
101. Take a cheap ball point pen, and bend it sharply to break open the ink well, or open
the pen up and cut the ink well open. Lend this pen to somebody.
Drum on every available surface.
Remove every line of someone's .newsrc file except the entry for
Sing the Batman theme incessantly.
Staple papers in the middle of the page.
Ask 800 operators for dates.
Produce a rental video consisting entirely of dire FBI copy warnings.
Sew anti-theft detector strips into people's backpacks.
Hide dairy products in inaccessible places.
Write the surprise ending to a novel on its first page.
Specify that your drive-through order is "to go".
Set alarms for random times.
Learn Morse code, and have conversations with friends in public consisting entirely of
"Beeeep Bip Bip Beeeep Bip..."
Buy large quantities of mint dental floss just to lick the flavor off.
Order a side of pork rinds with your filet mignon.
Instead of Gallo, serve Night Train next Thanksgiving.
Leave your Nine Inch Nails tape in Great Uncle Ed's stereo, with the volume properly
Publicly investigate just how slowly you can make a "croaking" noise.
Honk and wave to strangers.
Dress only in clothes colored Hunter's Orange.
Change channels five minutes before the end of every show.
Tape pieces of "Sweating to the Oldies" over climactic parts of rental movies.
Wear your pants backwards.
Decline to be seated at a restaurant, and simply eat their complementary mints by the cash
Begin all your sentences with "ooh la la!"
Rouse your roommates from slumber each morning with Lou Reed's "Metal Machine
Leave someones printer in compressed-italic-cyrillic-landscape mode.
ONLY TYPE IN UPPERCASE.
only type in lowercase.
dont use any punctuation either
Buy a large quantity of orange traffic cones and reroute whole streets.
Pay for your dinner with pennies.
Tie jingle bells to all your clothes.
Repeat everything someone says, as a question.
Write "X - BURIED TREASURE" in random spots on all of someone's roadmaps.
Inform everyone you meet of your personal Kennedy assasination/UFO/ OJ Simpson conspiracy
Repeat the following conversation a dozen times: "Do you hear that?"
"What?" "Never mind, it's gone now."
Light road flares on a birthday cake.
Wander around the restaurant, asking other diners for their parsley.
Leave tips in Bolivian currency.
Demand that everyone address you as "Conquistador".
Push all the flat Lego pieces together tightly.
At the laundromat, use one dryer for each of your socks.
When Christmas carolling, sing "Jingle Bells, Batman smells" until physically
Wear a cape that says "Magnificent One".
As much as possible, skip rather than walk.
Stand over someone's shoulder, mumbling, as they read.
Finish the 99 bottles of beer song.
Leave your turn signal on for fifty miles.
Pretend your mouse is a CB radio, and talk to it.
Try playing the William Tell Overture by tapping on the bottom of your chin. When nearly
done, announce "no, wait, I messed it up", and repeat.
Drive half a block.
Name your dog "Dog".
Inform others that they exist only in your imagination.
Ask people what gender they are.
Reply to everything someone says with "that's what YOU think."
Lick the filling out of all the Oreos, and place the cookie parts back in the tray.
Cultivate a Norwegian accent. If Norwegian, affect a Southern Drawl.
Forget the punchline to a long joke, but assure the listener it was a "real
Routinely handcuff yourself to furniture, informing the curious that you don't want to
fall off "in case the big one comes".
Sculpt your hedges into anatomically suggestive shapes.
Follow a few paces behind someone, spraying everything they touch with a can of Lysol.
Deliberately hum songs that will remain lodged in co-workers' brains, such as "Feliz
Navidad", the Archies' "Sugar" or the
Mr Rogers theme song.
While making presentations, occasionally bob your head like a parakeet.
Lie obviously about trivial things such as the time of day.
Make beeping noises when a large person backs up.
Leave your Christmas lights up and lit until September.
Change your name to John Aaaaasmith for the great glory of being first in the phone book.
Claim it's a Hawaiian name, and demand that people pronounce each A.
Sit in your front yard pointing a hair dryer at passing cars to see if they slow down.
Chew on pens that you've borrowed.
Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid
the appearance of ignorance.
Wear a LOT of cologne.
Ask to "interface" with someone.
Listen to 33rpm records at 45rpm speed, and claim the faster speed is necessary because of
your "superior mental processing".
Sing along at the opera.
Mow your lawn with scissors.
At a golf tournament, chant "swing-batatatatatata-suhWING-batter!"
Finish all your sentences with the words "in accordance with prophesy".
Ask the waitress for an extra seat for your "imaginary friend".
Go to a poetry recital and ask why each poem doesn't rhyme.
Ask your co-workers mysterious questions, and scribble their answers in a notebook. Mutter
something about "psychological profiles".
Incessantly recite annoying phrases, such as "sticky wicket isn't cricket."
Stare at static on the tv and claim you can see a "magic picture".
Select the same song on the jukebox fifty times.
Scuff your feet on a dry, shaggy carpet and seek out victims.
Do not add any inflection to the end of your sentences, producing awkward silences with
the impression that you'll be saying more any moment.
Never make eye contact.
Never break eye contact.
Signal that a conversation is over by clamping your hands over your ears.
Construct elaborate "crop circles" in your front lawn.
Construct your own pretend "tricorder", and "scan" people with it,
announcing the results.
Give a play-by-play account of a person's every action in a nasal Howard Cossell voice.
Holler random numbers while someone is counting.
Make appointments for the 31st of September.
Invite lots of people to other people's parties.