1. When you call us to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it buried under half
a ton of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals, dried flowers, bowling trophies and
children's art. We don't have a life, and we find it deeply moving to catch a fleeting
glimpse of yours.
2. Don't write anything down. Ever. We can play back the error messages from here.
3. When an I.T. person says he's coming right over, go for coffee. That way you won't
be there when we need your password. It's nothing for us to remember 700 screen saver
4. When you call the help desk, state what you want, not what's keeping you from
getting it. We don't need to know that you can't get into your mail because your computer
won't power on at all.
5. When I.T. support sends you an E-Mail with high importance, delete it at once. We're
6. When an I.T. person is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in and spill your guts
right out. We exist only to serve.
7. Send urgent email all in uppercase. The mail server picks it up and flags it as a
8. When the photocopier doesn't work, call computer support. There's electronics in it.
9. When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at home, call computer support. We can
fix your telephone line from here.
10. When you have a dozen old computer screens to get rid of, call computer support.
11. When something's wrong with your home PC, dump it on an I.T. person's chair with no
name, no phone number and no description of the problem. We love a puzzle.
12. When an I.T. person tells you that computer screens don't have cartridges in them,
argue. We love a good argument.
13. When an I.T. person tells you that he'll be there shortly, reply in a scathing tone
of voice: "And just how many weeks do you mean by shortly?" That motivates us.
14. When the printer won't print, re-send the job at least 20 times. Print jobs
frequently get sucked into black holes.
15. When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to all 68 printers
in the company. One of them is bound to work.